taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

There. I have worked same company past

Customer Question

Hi there. I have worked for the same company for the past 10 years. Last year I was forced to go less hours and less pay.
the company have now lost 2 major accounts and I have been told that I will only have a part time job come September or no job at all. Depending on which way I choose.
Do I have a case to ask for redundancy money? even though this has not been discussed, I feel this is the way I am forced to go? but would expect some pay off?
I have never had a work contract
thanks for your advice
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Are you the only person in this situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two of us are affected. But I am mostly affected as they were my accounts.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Could you work on the other accounts or does the other employee have specialist knowledge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have more knowledge but her role is different and more of a support role
However the accounts left is only feasible for one person on a part time basis.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. What you are describing is a redundancy situation. A redundancy situation occurs when the need for a person to perform a job ceases or diminishes.
This can occur through the loss of contracts in the manner you describe.
Where there is a redundancy situation the employer may offer you reduced hours as an alternative to redundancy. However you are entitled to be made redundant and to receive redundancy pay.
You should tell your employer that you have taken advice and that this is is a redundancy situation and ask them to treat it as such.
If they refuse to do so you can resign and claim the payment through the Employment Tribunal.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. can you advise on what is the average % for redundancy per year of employment

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi you can calculate your payment using the link below which will tell you exactly what yo are owed.
www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay
Hope that helps.
I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I'm not sure if I pay again, but happy to do so. but wanted to follow on from above.

I was put in a position that I had to take reduced hours (literally half) per week. as I could not afford to leave.

however, the job and pay is not similar to the role I had and struggling to survive on this. My employer has now also bullied me into a 'hourly'rate scenario and wants me to go self employed.

My terms have also changed and my holidays are now only 10 per year and I am not paid for sick days or public holidays?

Is this allowed? I took the half time job as I had no choice, but now wish to push for redundancy after 11 years in this company?

I feel she is either pushing me out or wanting to close the company?

can you help/advise? I have an appointment with a lawyer but not till next week, but feel I need to strike asap! thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.