taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

As previously mentioned, l have been on a fixed term contract

Customer Question

As previously mentioned, l have been on a fixed term contract from 16 July 14 and on the 12th June 15, l was verbally given four weeks' notice and told that my contract was to be terminated and that l only needed to be in the office for just two weeks, the other two weeks would be paid, so my last day in the office will be 25th June 15. Also l was told that the termination package would be in receipt of a bonus and paid for any outstanding annual leave and pay up to 11th July, of which all would be paid on 30th June instead of remaining pay given in July.  However, we still haven't received our termination letters as yet, as the team are to leave next week Thursday, so l chased up HR to find out what was going on and he said that the termination letters have been written but have to be checked (l have no idea by whom). So l tried to get a more definitive answer), as to a specific day, but that didn't happen.
Therefore, by law when a verbal notice is given, how quickly should HR hand over the termination letter, after giving a verbal notice? Is there any other information, or rights that l should be aware of regarding this situation? Thanks
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
What was the end date of the original fixed term contract and did it contain a break clause allowing them to give notice early?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My contract was renewed on 31 December 2014 and the official end date was 26 June 15. The contract stated that four weeks' notice of termination was to be given by either party. So 26 May 15 came and went and our team heard nothing despite repeated requests to our line manager. Then on 15th June15, my team were notified verbally.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Does the contract itself state how notices must be given?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Clause 14.2: Following successful completion of your probationary period (clause 3.1- one month), the company may terminate your employment by giving you one month's written notice.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
In that case your employer must give the one month's notice in writing. If they purport to tell you that the notice was given correctly verbally that is incorrect. Notice should start from the date that the letter is written.
Hope that helps.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you please tell me which Act/clause will support this information and l quote from you "...If your employer purports to tell you that notice was given correctly verbally that is incorrect. Notice should start from the date that the letter is written.. "

I ask this as they might try to come up with an excuse tto get out of that and state firmly that the dateof the letter (15th June) stills stands.

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi there is no Act or clause this is simple contract law. The contract states that the notice will be written. Therefore if it is not written they are in breach of contract. The letter should not be backdated.