taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

We have sent an individual home due to receiving a complaint

We have sent an individual home due to receiving a complaint about unprofessional conduct and intimidating behaviour, whilst we look into the matter further. At this point we are inviting the individual to an investigatory meeting to discuss the complaint but since speaking to others I have been advised of other examples of the above (shouting at staff, not speaking to staff, making them feel like they don't want to come to work as they don't know what they will walk into each day). I have wrote out inviting the individual to an investigatory meeting to discuss the complaint and for them to be able to defend their behaviour. This is the first official complaint we have received but we are aware of times this has happened before and have in an unofficial capacity spoken to the supervisor and they agreed it was a problem and for a period of over 6 months the atmosphere in the office was better but it has started again. Would it be ok at the meeting, as well as discuss the complaint which the supervisor is now aware of, to discuss and show evidence of statements from other members of staff that have been given to me this week. The person who made the original complaint is just out of school and new to the working environment although I didn't want to name the individual who had raised the complaint until the meeting I feel I have a duty to the supervisor to inform her so that she is fully aware before attending the meeting but I don't wish to send the other statements but present and discuss them during the course of the meeting. This meeting is still investigatory and no disciplinary action will be taken until the matter is fully explored and meeting has been concluded. A separate meeting will take place if it is proved that disciplinary action is warranted.
So really I just need to know if it would be wrong to only present the supporting statements at the meeting and not before ?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long has the employee worked for you for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The apprentice has been with us for just under 8 months (individual who made the complaint). The supervisor has been with us for 26 years in various different roles.

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
It is fine to present the statements you have suggested. As this person has been with you for a long period of time and it is the first official complaint I would consider offering extra training as an option as an alternative to disciplinary action if there is some merit to the allegations.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters