29905560

I am a rep and i have a manager who has been suspended. He

I am a rep and i have a manager who has been suspended. He took makeup testers that were in the waste bin; can he be dismissed? It was ready to be thrown away. Thanks
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long has he worked there for and is there a policy in place which states he could not take them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has worked there for 5 years abd the company handbook states theft is gross misconduct. I don't know of there is one for testers but it is an outside conpany; like a contractor
As he has more than 2 years’ service he would be protected against unfair dismissal, which means the employer must show there was a fair reason for dismissal and also follow a fair disciplinary procedure. However, misconduct is a potentially fair reason for dismissal and this is what he would be charged with here. The issue here is that he has taken company property without any consent from the employer. These items may have been testers and destined for the bin, but they were still company property. What would have happened to them is irrelevant. Had they been disposed of and he then took them then the company would have already taken steps to remove them and they would no longer be classified as company property. But if they were taken from the premises before disposal then they would still be the company’s property and it could amount to theft if he did not have the company’s consent. As far as the procedures are concerned, misconduct is a common reason for taking disciplinary action against an employee. It could be due either to a single serious act of misconduct or a series of less serious acts over a period of time. In order to justify that disciplinary action on grounds of misconduct was fair, the law requires that the employer:· Conducts a reasonable investigation;· Follows a fair disciplinary procedure; and· Shows they had reasonable grounds to believe the employee was guilty. In addition, the employer is expected to follow the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Altogether, it means that a disciplinary procedure should be conducted as follows: 1. Investigation - a reasonable investigation is needed. What is reasonable depends entirely on the circumstances and especially the nature and seriousness of the allegations. The more serious these are, the more detailed the investigation needs to be. 2. Disciplinary hearing - if the investigation provides sufficient evidence of misconduct, the employee may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary hearing. They must be given prior notice of the hearing, including details of the allegations, allowing them time to prepare. They have the legal right to be accompanied at the hearing but only by a trade union representative or a colleague. 3. Decision and penalty - following the disciplinary, if the employer holds a genuine belief that the employee was guilty, then they can go ahead and formally sanction them. When deciding on the appropriate penalty, the employer should consider the nature and seriousness of the offence and the employee's disciplinary record. Unless the offence was one of gross misconduct, ACAS recommends that the employee should be issued with a written warning. In summary, an employer is not expected to prove that the alleged misconduct had definitely occurred. Disciplinary action will be fair if the employer can show that it had conducted a reasonable investigation, followed a fair procedure and held a genuine belief that the employee was guilty. Finally, it must show that the penalty was a reasonable action to take in the circumstances and one that a reasonable employer would have taken. If there are any doubts about any of the above and there is belief or evidence that the employer has not satisfied these requirements, an appeal can be submitted to the employer immediately after the disciplinary outcome. If the disciplinary results in dismissal then a claim for unfair dismissal can be made in the employment tribunal. There are two requirements to claim: the employee must have at least 2 years' continuous service with the employer and the claim must be made within 3 months of the date of dismissal. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you