29905560

My staff member ( an apprentice) was aggressive towards my

my staff member ( an apprentice) was aggressive towards my husband whom is a sub contractor for my company regarding a job they had worked on together (months previously) . At a non staff social event in an evening. The staff member persisted to be aggressive instance and questioning which I managed to defuse , his behaviour upset me. my husband was upset by this situation and went to ask him to apologise for his behaviour. This resulted in a fight breaking out between the two of them. I wont to know where I stand with my employee. I have been told by his father I legally cannot issue him a written warning for his conduct as this was out of work time
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long has this person worked there for?
It is certain not true that you cannot issue the employee with a written warning for his conduct, just because it was outside of the workplace. There are many examples where conduct outside of the workplace could result in disciplinary action against an employee. For example, if there is a link to the workplace, like a staff party or an event where other workers are present; or if the reputation of the business can be damaged, such as an employee being involved in a fight witnessed by customers or it was reported in the local press. So there are certainly circumstances where disciplinary action can take place even if done outside of working time or outside of the workplace.
In these circumstances you would be justified in disciplining the employee and issuing them with a warning even if it was for conduct which was out of work time. There is a sufficiently close connection between what happened and the workplace for it to be linked.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.