29905560

Need advice. If a person employed gets a Final Writtern

Hi need advice.
If a person employed gets a Final Writtern Warning feels this sanction is unjust.
They have one appeal which was upheld would like a second appeal when they are informed the final Writtern warning could be increased.
This would mean dismissal is this true.
Would be grateful for any advice.
Regards *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Was the final written warning increased as a result of the initial appeal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben
Was given advisory long time ago.
Never given any Writtern warnings went strait to Final Writtern Warning.
This was for five days of work since last August.
Two of the days were for going to the hospital with a child 10 years of age.
The other three days were sick given able notice not able to work.
More worried if I but in second and last appeal the company First Bus of York say they can increase the sanction.
This would mean dismissal
Regards *****
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in a tribunal today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you this afternoon. There is no need to wait and you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, sorry I could not get back to you earlier. Just before I finalise my response can you please confirm how long you have worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13 Years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If someone is issued with a disciplinary warning and they then appeal, if new evidence comes it as a result and it could justify increasing the penalty the employer should hold a brand new disciplinary hearing. They cannot just issue a new sanction, such as a dismissal, giving the employee the opportunity to defend themselves. So the employer would have to follow a new and fair disciplinary procedure.
As far as the law on dismissals is concerned, misconduct is a common reason for taking disciplinary action and it is also a potentially fair reason for dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996. It could be a single act of serious misconduct or a series of less serious acts over a period of time.
In order to justify that dismissal on grounds of misconduct was fair, the law requires that the employer:
• Conducts a reasonable investigation;
• Follows a fair disciplinary procedure;
• Has reasonable grounds for believing the employee was guilty; and
• Show that dismissal was a decision that a reasonable employer would have taken in the circumstances.
In addition, the employer is expected to follow the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Altogether, it means that a disciplinary procedure should be conducted as follows:
1. Investigation - a reasonable investigation is needed. What is reasonable depends entirely on the circumstances and especially the nature and seriousness of the allegations. The more serious these are, the more detailed the investigation needs to be.
2. Disciplinary hearing - if the investigation provides sufficient evidence of misconduct, the employee may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary hearing. They must be given prior notice of the hearing, including details of the allegations, allowing them time to prepare. They have the legal right to be accompanied at the hearing but only by a trade union representative or a colleague.
3. Decision and penalty - following the disciplinary, if the employer holds a genuine belief that the employee was guilty, then they can go ahead and dismiss. When deciding on whether dismissal is appropriate, the employer should consider the nature and seriousness of the offence and the employee's length of service and disciplinary record. They also need to act with a degree of consistency if other employees have previously been disciplined over similar issues. Unless the offence was one of gross misconduct, ACAS recommends that the employee should be issued with a written warning.
In summary, an employer is not expected to prove that the alleged misconduct had definitely occurred. Disciplinary action will be fair if the employer can show that it had conducted a reasonable investigation, followed a fair procedure and held a genuine belief that the employee was guilty. Finally, it must show that the penalty was a reasonable action to take in the circumstances and one that a reasonable employer would have taken.
If there are any doubts or evidence that the above requirements have not been satisfied, an appeal can be submitted to the employer straight after the disciplinary outcome is communicated. If the appeal is rejected a claim for unfair dismissal can be made in the employment tribunal. The time limit to claim is 3 months from the date of dismissal and the claimant needs to have at least 2 years' continuous service with that employer.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'