29905560

I am a Civil Engineer working in Kampala. My Employer is obviously

I am a Civil Engineer working in Kampala. My Employer is obviously nearly insolvent as he cannot pay salaries on time being as much as 3 months late
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is your query about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My, or our, employer is obviously nearly bankrupt and cannot pay salaries on time with delays being 2-3 months.

Our contract is under English law.

Is there anything we can do to get paid regularly?

Sadly no, there isn’t. If the money is not there then you cannot force them to pay you on time, even if it was the employer could still delay payments. The money if course still legally owed to you so you will have rights to get it but not necessarily on time. The issue is hat to do this you would need to go to court, this will take time and cost you too and by the time it has been resolved you could have already been paid anyway by the employer. A case will take a few months at least and it is really only to be used if the employer has completely failed to pay you, rather than if they are just delaying payments. I completely understand it is a frustrating situation to be in but there is nothing in law that would guarantee you payments on time, especially if the employer is financially struggling. Most people who find themselves in such situations would either just accept it and try to arrange their finances accordingly, or look for a new job. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you