taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

During my interview I was promised on the job training to bring

During my interview I was promised on the job training to bring me up to speed in my new job, this has not happened and I am now in a position where I am facing dismissal because I am refusing to take a 20% drop in my wages and taking a new role because my employer says that I am struggling in my current role. I have been asked to attend my final probationary review meeting and are facing the possibility of being finished, do I have any employee rights?
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for your employer for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just over 6 months
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Do you believe there is an element of discrimination involved here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I do
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain how you believe you are being discriminated against?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
mainly because my father was employed by the company and retired just before I started, he was asked to sign a zero hours contract to keep him on the books as he had worked for the firm for over 20 years. initially he said that he would but then changed his mind at the last minute. I think that had my father signed the zero hours contract I would not be in this position.
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
ok sadly I do not think that you will be able to establish sufficient employment rights to claim against your employer.
When you are in the first two years of employment there is no right to claim unfair dismissal against the employer. This means that you can be dismissed for any reason in the first 2 years. This includes a situation where the employer has made you promises which they have not fulfilled.
There are limited exceptions to the 2 year rule. These are if you have been discriminated against contrary to the Equality Act 2010, this would be on the basis of age, race, religion, disability, sex or for raising a health and safety or other complaint. I do not think that any of those apply to your situation.
I am really sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for but it would be unfair of me to give you false hope.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for your assistance anyway.