29905560

Can you ask a possible job candidate

Can you ask a possible job candidate for previous work references if you have not yet offered the job to them.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Yes you can certainly do so, that is entirely up to you. There is nothing in law which states you cannot do that - you are the one who decides whether to offer them a job and on what conditions, so if you want to ask for a reference before you decide on whether to offer the job you may do so. The alternative way is just to make them an offer subject to satisfactory references being obtained, so if these do not materialise you can still withdraw the job offer. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you