taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have accused of stealing my employer (sainsburys) items of

I have accused of stealing my employer (sainsburys) items of clothing which i paid for butcannot find receipt and manager has checked till and cant find transaction. This happened on friday i was escorted out of shop with security and car searched were other items were taken from my car which i had purchased in another shop! I am to go today monday at 2.30 for meeting to allow them time investigate matter. I feel so vulnerable as i dont seem to have any proof and am svaredof losing my job, however i was so embarrassed being paraded through the store in front of colleagues and customers i feell icould not return. Should i seek legal representation? They have stated on letter that this is not a formal disciplinary meeting but that i canbring a colleague or a union rep (i have not joined u ion). I would really appreciate your advice as i am not of good help and am scared stress will bring on a angina attack.
many thanks michelle mann
Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you. How long have you worked for your employer for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

From 1st december 2014

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

W9 months

Expert:  taratill replied 2 years ago.
Hi the main issue you have is your length of service. The employer can dismiss for any reason in the first 2 years of service and there is no claim you can bring. The exception to that is if you believe that the reason for your dismissal amounts to discrimination contrary to the Equality Act, i.e. on the grounds of your sex, race, age, religion, disability, pregnancy or for raising a health and safety complaint.
It does not seem that any of the above apply.
You can therefore either go in and try to defend yourself or if it is too stressful you could consider resigning.
If you have any further questions please do ask.