I have been offered a job. I have received the contract and offer letter. I was telephoned last week to ring shared services of my previous companies and gain references. I did this and got them sent that day. Because on my form I had put that I had disability issues they asked me to attend a medical. I asked them at the medical as my start date was Monday to fax and send it through asap. I was told by the company and by the agency to hang fire until this had arrived and they would be able to enact the changes under DDA. I hung on and later in the day received a email to say that as paperwork was not all together, that I could not start and would be offered a new start date asap. I received the email from the medical at the same time that management got it today.I feel gutted upset and angry that I was not able to start job. Where do I stand What would have happened if Ihad turned up on day one. contractually and legally I would have deemed to have started
The contract was conditional yes, but in the interim I complied with all requests to gain references, I telephoned previous employments and charities to gain these and get them faxed over. Last Wednesday was franetic in phone calls etc. I was credit checked re a bank account which the company opened for me to have my salary paid into. I had mentioned in the healt assessment disability issues. I was asked to attend a medical last Friday I attended and asked for the paper work to be sent over that afternoon. I recived a mail to indicate that it has been sent had been sent and at the same time I received the mail, management received it was well - I even offered to come in to the company to assist with this process. I suggested access to work may well be involeved also because that may be quicker - So yes it was conditional but I assisted with all the needs that they had
It seems so I have the list here -
confirmation of ID and proof to work in the UK - this was done at interview with passport and birth certificate.
CRB checks - This may have been the delay - I have a clean CRB from the Gideons International but I understand that the coop needs one from CRB themselves
Credit Reference check -
opening a coop account - I was phoned to do this and complied with this
acceptance of the offer - Done this by internal intranet by email to me
medical review - attended this last Friday
Do you need more time Ben ?
So really it is a delay until all the information needed has been recived, and not a retraction of the job offer. They have not retracted the offer and in fact will offer me a new start date when it is available. They have not with drawn the job offer.,
You can imagine that I was upset and angry when this happened because I had done everything that had been asked of me. (I have been out of work a while and it was my first job offer I understand that in the last intake someone dropped out and they made me an offer - On the other side they had used an agency and I suppose the remit of the agency is fine someone quckly. and fill the post - ) But then the agency would not fully know that I had a disability