29905560

I was given verbal confirmation of redundancy by my employer

I was given verbal confirmation of redundancy by my employer on a Friday 13th Feb, I cancelled my holiday on that day. My employer gave me written confirmation on Monday 16th Feb. I am now trying to reclaim the cost of my holiday deposit through my travel insurance who say I did not have written confirmation of redundancy until the 16th and the verbal confirmation I was given on the 13th does not count - surely this cannot be correct - I was made redundant verbally very clearly which was followed by a letter. Where do I stand? Thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does your contract state that notice of termination must be given in writing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Notice could be just as legally binding if it was verbal as it would be if it was written. The law does not require it to be given in writing, unless the contract stipulates that. What is necessary is that it is communicated effectively to you, which would be the case as you have described. What the insurer may not be happy with is that they have no direct evidence that you were verbally advised on the 13th that you were being made redundant. You are relying on your own version of events and the only formal record is the letter which followed, which I presume may only contain your leaving date and the date of the letter, not necessarily the fact that verbal confirmation was initially given on the 23th. So you may want to consider contacting the employer and explaining the situation to them, asking them to re-issue your redundancy letter, just making it clear it was sent as a follow up to the meeting you had on the 13th where your redundancy was initially confirmed. If they refuse to accept this then you can follow their full internal complaints procedure and after that can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman for resolution.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'