29905560

My statement of employment says the following about notice:

My statement of employment says the following about notice: "The amount of notice of termination of your employment is one week for each year of continuous service and the amount you are required to give is one month." Is that legal? I thought the amount
of notice I have to give can never be higher then the amount my employer must give!?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. It is not correct that the amount of notice you have to give can never be higher than the amount your employer must give. For example, many employers may request their employees to give 3 months whilst the employer is only required to give a week's notice for every year of employment up to a maximum of 12 weeks. So in this example the notice periods would only become equal after 12 years of employment. It does happen and it is not illegal. There is nothing in law which states the employee cannot be expected to give more notice than the employer.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So does that mean, that I have to give one month notice, even in the probationary period?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
if that is what the contract says, which it does, then yes