taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Is it possible to take legal action against a previous employer

Is it possible to take legal action against a previous employer who handled a grievance case poorly?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you still work there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Jenny,

No I don't. I was made redundant less than a year after the grievance in which the resulting action was dismissal (of the colleague I refer to)

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
when did your employment end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May 2013

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi unfortunately any claim connected with an employment law situation would need to be made promptly after the employment ends as there are strict time limits of 3 or 6 months (depending on the claim) to raise the issue in the Employment Tribunal.
As over 2 years have passed there is therefore no claim you can bring.
I am sorry this was not the answer you were hoping for.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that, that helps somewhat

The reasons why I wanted to look into this is because following this situation I have had significantly low esteem, been treated for depression and seen many specialists. I believe this to be a result of the poor handling of my case and would like to know if I could recover costs of treatment over the past 2 years

Does the legal standing for the 3/6 month periods remain the same?

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
so you are saying that this has caused personal injury to you? Potentially the time limit would not apply as there are 3 years to bring a personal injury claim in the civil courts.
You should note that a key issue for the court will be whether it was reasonably foreseeable that the act or omission of the employer would have caused the injury. This might be quite hard to prove.
If you have household insurance it might contain legal expenses insurance. It is worth looking at as this might help you bring a claim.