29905560

Can an employer make a non Saturday contracted night worker

Can an employer make a non Saturday contracted night worker work Saturday night ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and what exactly does your contract state about your working hours?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
22 years ,36 hours per week between 10.00.pm and 8.00am. Not actually contracted for Saturday work
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
But does your contract state you are only contracted for on-Fri work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I do some Saturday's to help colleagues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
OK so what I am trying to get at is that your contract does not stipulate your working days? If that is the case then you could be asked to work any day of the week. The contract does not have to state that you are specifically contracted to work on a Sat - the fact that there is no mention of your working days means that you could be asked to worked any day from Mon-Sun. Also you have worked Saturdays in the past to help out so you are available on this day if needed. The only thing is that if you have not worked consistently on Saturdays for a while it should not be treated as a day on which you ordinarily work. So the employer cannot really force you to start working Saturdays on a permanent basis, but if this is done occasionally and with sufficient notice then you can be asked to work them because your working days are not defined and as such you could potentially be asked to work on any day of the week. I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to work any day when requested , but I am trying so hard to have every other weekend off for a reasonable work life balance and I have offered to accept any other time off between these weekends.