taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

In process of redundancy consultation with employer. They want

Customer Question

In process of redundancy consultation with employer. They want half the workforce to change from shift to days (approx loss of £200/month). A day shift has not been worked before in this dept. Do we have a challenge ? Be grateful of your advice/opinion.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny. Eight years this time. 25 years cumulative since 1984, consisting 8 years with RAF, 9 years with Saudi Air Force, 8 years on current contract.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain what you meant in your question by equalities issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The people on days will be asked to work alongside shift workers, doing the same work.Change of T&C's, worklife balance, childcare issues etc
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have you raised a grievance about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,we are still in the consultation period but indications from the company are that they will not concede at all. The main issue is the loss of shift allowance, approx £200/month per person.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
what reason is being given for this, is it the change of shift means that you are no longer entitled or is it economic reasons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both of those reasons
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** for you and your colleagues is that the employment tribunal recognises the right of an employer to make changes to shift patterns to suit the needs of the employer, this can be to save money (especially in the current economic climate). It is rare that an employment tribunal would interfere with that right and say it amounts to unfair dismissal.
If the change has a disproportionate affect on women for example (by reason of the school age argument) it may be that you would be able to claim that the change amounts to indirect sex discrimination. However you would need to raise a grievance about this first.
My view is that it is unlikely your argument would succeed in a tribunal (unless there is compelling evidence of sex discrimiation). However you should not be deterred from raising a grievance to complain about the proposed changes.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance Jenny. Regards, Alan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that my £38 used up or have I any credit re a future querie ?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
you can ask follow on questions on this thread for the same price. Any new questions will be charged separately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice one thanks. There's a meeting this Fri so might contact next week. Bye for now.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
ok no problem.