ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Can an employer prevent a person taking unpaid time off to

Customer Question

Can an employer prevent a person taking unpaid time off to attend a Doctor's appointment providing proper notice given in advance
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer
I am a Solicitor and will assist you.
Unfortunately although your employer may allow you time off work to visit the doctor - they are not legally required to.
You should however check your contract of employment as this may say otherwise.
Your employer can make you make a doctors appointment outside of your normal work hours. They can also insist that you take holiday leave.
I appreciate that this is not what you want to hear but I do have to be honest.
If however you were a pregnant woman - you would be allowed reasonable paid time off work for ante-natal care.
If you are disabled and your employer will not let you take time off for a medical appointment connected with your disability, In that case, an employer must make reasonable Allowances, and allowing time off for medical appointments is considered to be a 'reasonable allowance'.
Kind Regards
Caroline
Positive feedback is gratefully received. No credit is received for our work unless positive feedback is received.
Please kindly remember to rate positively