29905560

Can the company i work that i attend a training

Can the company i work for insist that i attend a training course on a weekend (Sunday) when i do not work any day over the weekend? They are not offering any remuneration for this time at work (i have to timesheet my work hours) and they have stated that failure to attend will result in suspension.
I have replied stating that i cannot attend this event, as i am away that weekend, but would be happy to attend a training course during the hours that i am onsite during the week.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and does your contract state you could be asked to attend training at times which are not your working hours/days?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been working for this company for over 15 years, i do not have a contract of employment

Such rights would very much depend on your contract of employment, however you do not have one. This may actually work in your favour because the employer cannot show that there is a contractual right allowing them to ask you to attend work on days off or partake in unpaid training.
What will go against you is if this has happened in the past and you have accepted it and attended. However, if this is the first time it has happened and there is no contract in place, you could refuse to by making it clear that you are not contractually obliged to do so. If the employer suspends you then that would likely be unfair. There is nothing stopping them from suspending you but you could complain by raising a grievance. Also the more of you that are affected the better it would if you could all take a stand together and challenge it as a group.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you