29905560

I gave notice on August 11 to quit my job on 24th

I gave notice on August 11 to quit my job on 24th August, but because I thought I had holiday owing I brought the notice forward to finish on September 18th. The Company I work for say I have to finish on the 24th and that they will not pay for my notice period. I have to give 4 weeks notice which I feel I have done. Please advise if they can stop my money and do I have to work till they 24th.
Thank you Cathy
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did you have any holidays owing in the end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only 3 hours
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
So why would you have brought it forward to 18th Sept when that gives you more than 4 weeks notice and you were not due to give more than that? Also at what point did you extend it - when did you inform the employer of that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben
I thought by giving more than 4 weeks it would help them out as they are always short staffed. On the 4th of September I told them I wanted to bring it forward. Cathy
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
When you proposed on the 4th to extend it to the 18th did the company initially accept that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assumed so because they didn't come back to me until I mentioned to someone that Friday the 18th would be my last shift - then they came back telling me I have to work till the 24th. Then again today I was left a telephone message (landline) that I either work or not get paid.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You initially issued notice on 11 August to leave on 24 August. This would have been less than the 4 weeks you were required to give. However, you still gave them notice on that date and it would be when the notice would have started to run from. If you did not give them enough to cover the 4 week notice period then the employer could have asked you to work additional days to ensure that you work the 4 weeks required. The start of the notice would have still been the 11th. You then offered to extend the notice period to the 18th Sept. This would have taken you over the 4 weeks notice period you were supposed to give and could only be done with the employer’s consent. They did not get back to you and eventually rejected it, asking for you to continue there for even longer. You do not have to continue working pat the 4 weeks which would have started on 11 Aug and ended on 8th Sept. Anything past that would only be worked with both your and the employer’s consent. So they cannot force you to work until the 24 Sept.
If they refuse to pay you for the notice period that would amount to unlawful deduction of wages. In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.
If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here: https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/employment-tribunals
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.
Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben your response has made me feel a lot better.
Have a blessed day Cathy