29905560

I informed my employer about my pregnancy, I have since had

I informed my employer about my pregnancy, I have since had comments from colleagues and his friends about this. I only informed him as my work involves some heavy lifting. He has even told someone we both know who does not work for the company about it in a private facebook msg. I was just wondering if it is legal for him to tell my personal information to anyone he likes? Kindest regards ***** ***** Cullen.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Had this affected your employment in any way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not Really affected my work, I was just under the impression that if i told it in confidence as an employee it would stay that way. The people he informed are not my friends but do call into the office to see him. I was still under 12 weeks pregnant and had not even informed some family members.

There is nothing specific in law which states that the employer must keep such information confidential from others in the workplace. However, this is an expectation you would have under the implied term of trust and confidence which exists in every contractual relationship. So you could certainly argue that the employer has breached that term by disclosing such sensitive information about you to others. So you are able to complain about this by raising a formal grievance or just do it on a more informal level. The employer should investigate this and if they feel necessary – reprimand the person responsible for this. For example, they could be issued with a warning or disciplined otherwise and the employer could also change their policies that deal with such situations, for example making it clear that it must be kept confidential.
So from a legal perspective the best you can really do is go down the grievance rote, there is no other claim you could realistically make or pursue.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you