taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have just employed someone on a fulltime basis with a 6 month

I have just employed someone on a fulltime basis with a 6 month probation period.They are not working out as I expected and i either want to severe or put them part time on a freelance basis doing a slightly different job. Do I have to follow the disciplinary procedure or can i do this straight away as they are in a probation period?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi there is no problem with letting them go with a weeks notice as they cannot claim unfair dismissal until they have 2 year's service.
The exception to this is if they can argue they are being discriminated against on the grounds of sex, race, religion, pregnancy, disability or for raising a health and safety complaint. If any of these were the case they can claim under the equality act.
If you think that any of these may apply please let me know and I'll advise further.
If you do give notice then you should be sure that you also pay for any outstanding holiday pay.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.