29905560

My wife and I both work in the same branch of a business.

My wife and I both work in the same branch of a business. We have only just got married. In the future can our employer stop us taking our annual leave together?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Potentially that could happen because the employer has a legal right under the Working Time Regulation to select when its employees take their leave. It could either nominate the dates when they take holidays or they could reject a request by the employee to take specific days off.
However, the Equality Act 2010 does provide protection against discrimination on grounds of marriage. This means that an employer should not treat someone detrimentally because they are married. Therefore, if no one else is being treated that way but you are just because you are married, it could amount to unlawful discrimination. This is an argument you could use in your favour should the employer try and stop you from taking your holidays together.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you