29905560

My employer is trying to force me to participate in group activities.

My employer is trying to force me to participate in group activities. The group is anyone from any department. If it was just my work team I would not have a problem. They are offering occupational health appointment so they can help me participate as I have refused. I do not want help I avoid these situations privately I do not need these activities to do my job. My direct manager is very happy with my work. Can they force me?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Does your contract say you could be asked to do this? Does everyone else participate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My contract does not state I may be asked to do this. But yes most people as far as I am aware participate. I know my colleague will not but he has not yet refused
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Generally you would only be expected to do whatever is in your contract or any other applicable workplace policies. It may also include any other activities which have been accepted over time and are generally known to be undertaken by the employees. It is also accepted that you could be asked to undertake any activities which amount to a reasonable request. In this case you are asked to participate in group activities which are not part of your contract, or other policies and are not necessary to fulfil your duties. So whether it is a reasonable request when it has no benefit to your duties at work may be questionable. So if you refuse to participate in these activities, which you would be entitled to, all the employer could do is consider disciplining you but in the circumstances this may be unfair and you could appeal it if necessary. If you keep being pushed into this then you could also make our own complaint by raising a formal grievance.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you