29905560

During a recent meeting with my colleague he has recorded

Hi. During a recent meeting with my colleague he has recorded out conversation. This has now put in a grivience in against me to my manager claiming I have treated him differently and claiming I have bullied him.
My question is
Is it ligal for him to do so and will I be able to take ligal action against him for doing so. And is he able to provide these recordings to my managers and fellow colleagues. He has also made false acutastions against me saying that I have told other people that I am trying to sack him when I have confronted those people in front of him they have all said that's not true. He has also told a number of my colleagues he has put in a formal grienvince against me is this a break of my data protections.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and what was the nature of the conversation which was recorded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I am employed as a store manager. The conversation I had with him was to inform him I am not trying to sack him. He has it in his head I told the security guard to find information on him so I can sack him. This is not true and I rang the security guard in front of him to which the security guard confirmed what I said. He has made further acutastions against me to which will be discussed with my regional manager on Wednesday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
During the conversation I used the F word a few times not directed at him. Was it ligal for him to record that private meeting
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At that store 6 months. I promoted the colleague in question to supervisor he has also been there about 6 months
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Is that your total service with the company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 months
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It is not actually illegal to secretly record conversations between individuals. You could have also recorded the meeting between you without breaking any laws. Strictly speaking he should not be distributing the recording without your consent but actually doing anything if he has sent it to other is rather difficult. It is not a breach of data protection laws if he did not actually record any personal information about you. For example, if you were discussing confidential information about you, such as your personal details stored on your personnel file that would be different but this does not appear to be the case here. So the best you can hope for is to make a counter-complaint against him with your employer. So a grievance can be raised by you as well and you can complain about his actions. However, legally it would not really be possible to challenge this.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'