29905560

I was asked to hand in a resignation, after I had a heart attack

I was asked to hand in a resignation, after I had a heart attack on the 18th June, and I took three months sick leave (as requested by my physician and cardiologists). I cannot return to work because there was no reasonable adjustment made to my work in the sense, that two employees who had created much of my stress were placed in my field. The medical team suggested that I cannot work in that environment. What can I claim?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long did you work there for and when did your employment terminate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have worked there for around four years. I submitted the resignation with the words - As requested- on the 1st of October 2015.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you want me to respond?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
No thank you I will respond myself shortly
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You have two potential claims here – one is for constructive dismissal, the other is for disability discrimination.
Constructive dismissal occurs when the following two elements are present:
• Serious breach of contract by the employer; and
• An acceptance of that breach by the employee, who in turn treats the contract of employment as at an end. The employee must act in response to the breach and must not delay any action too long.
A common breach by the employer occurs when it, or its employees, have broken the implied contractual term of trust and confidence. The conduct relied on could be a single act, or a series of less serious acts over a period of time, which together could be treated as serious enough (usually culminating in the 'last straw' scenario).
Following the resignation, the option of pursuing a claim for constructive dismissal exists. This is only available to employees who have at least 2 years' continuous service. There is a time limit of 3 months from the date of resignation to submit a claim in the employment tribunal.
An alternative way out is to approach the employer on a 'without prejudice' basis (i.e. off the record) to try and discuss the possibility of leaving under a settlement agreement. Under a settlement agreement, the employee gets compensated for leaving the company and in return promises not to make any claims against the employer in the future. It is essentially a clean break, although the employer does not have to agree to it so it will be subject to negotiation. In any event, there is nothing to lose by raising this possibility with them because you cannot be treated detrimentally for suggesting it and it would not be used against you.
In terms of disability discrimination, this would be for a failure to make reasonable adjustments and also detrimental treatment by asking you to resign. You can submit this at the same time as the constructive dismissal claim.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'