29905560

When starting a new job with the exception of the P60

Customer Question

Hi - when starting a new job with the exception of the P60 what else needs to be supplied concerning prior income? i am being asked for my most recent pay slips however I left my previous role 6 months ago and no longer have them. Can you please advise?
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Has the employer said why they need that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there - yes they have asked me for my last payslip which I don't have given the system was online. they also asked me for details on my 2013 base salary and bonus and also for 2014. When i supplied them with the one document I have which is my P60 they asked me for the break down in bonus and base salary, which I have given previously. i then told them the other document that I have to hand is my employment contract from 2012. I'm based in the UK and pending an offer in a bank, but having come from a bank myself i've never come across this before so I'm not sure what I am being scrutinised for exactly and what I do have to provide from a legal perspective. Any help you could offer would be great.

Legally you are not required to supply these. They may ask for your P45, proof of you national insurance number, proof of your right to work in the UK, but to ask for your previous paylsips, salary and bonus details is not a legal requirement. This is most likely an internal matter for them to see what you were earning in your previous job, to compare it to their own pay rates, perhaps to see what you were worth to a business in the past. So it is not a legal requirement, but at the same time they could potentially decide to make an offer conditional on you providing such evidence and if you do not they do not have to offer you the position. If you cannot find anything that will satisfy their request then just tell them and see if you can work together to agree on something which they would be happy with. You may also contact the old employer to see hat information or evidence they would be happy to provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Ben I appreciate your quick response. I had a feeing it was down to internal haggling but I wasn't sure if that was legally permitted. it is a US company therefore I was wondering if they have additional rights to scrutinise based on their practices in the US.

I cannot comment on US practices unfortunately but assuming you are being employed in the UK, it is this country's laws that will apply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great thank you so much Ben! have a great evening

You too, all the best