Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Laywer
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in law
27487359

I've been attending my optician 10 years and I asked

I've been attending my optician for over 10 years and I asked in 2008 if I could have lazer treatment. I was told I couldn't due to a stigmatiism. I asked again early this year & was still told it wasn't possible. Today I've visited Optical Express & had an in dept eye consultation & I was told there is no reason what so ever why I couldn't have this procedure done. Would I have a case to carry out against specsavers?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.
I will try and help. I think the difficulty you will have with bring such a claim is that you have not technically suffered loss even if you could show negligence. The mechanism of the eye can change over time and also technology will change. From a legal perspective I struggle sadly to see that you have a claim. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lost money paying for lenses & glasses for 7 years when I could of had laser treatment then. I asked 7 years ago and again approximately 1 month ago. I'm disappointed & feel I have been wrongly advised.
I can completely appreciate that - but to pursue such a claim you would need to show that at the time they were wrong (not now) and that they were so wrong that no other optician would have given the advice which they gave - this is called the Bollam test - it is incredibly difficult to prove and quite expensive unless you have insurance to cover such a claim. Happy to discuss. Please rates positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for your advice.
Kind regardsLouise

My pleasure Louise - can you please rate positive for me for the help