29905560

I work in a job were my partner works to. I'm her coordinate

Customer Question

Hi .
I work in a job were my partner works to. I'm her coordinate she is a carer. Now my boss is saying we can't work together she has to change areas or I have to change. Why this 10months later after we got together. But ask can we do a certain job together. ?? This job is getting my down and upsetting me to the point I want to leave. Pleased help
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How long have you been there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been working for 3yeard there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues last night and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.
First of all it is not illegal for you and your partner to work together. You need to check if there is a policy in the workplace which states that this cannot happen because if there is then the employer could enforce this and stop you from working together. However, a specific policy saying that should be in place first. The only other time that they can ask that is if there are issues created from you working together. So even if thee is no policy in place they can still use the fact that this causes issues to stop you from working together. By ‘issues’ I mean if you are not doing your jobs properly because you are distracted or for other reasons, if the work you do is not to an acceptable standard because of you being around each other or if there is favouritism where for example you treat her better than others because she is your partner.
These would really be the only circumstances in which they could try and stop you from working together. If none of these apply I suggest you raise this as a complaint with the employer by raising a grievance. If a grievance does not help and you still have issues then the only thing you can do is resign and make a claim for constructive dismissal in the employment tribunal although that is obviously a last resort.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I don't psychically work with her. I'm her coordinator I do her rotas and on call with her. She doesn't get favourism I make sure she works just as machu as the other carers do. She does the same hours she did before we even got together. Now they say we can worn together for certain things. To me it's either a yes or no to work together not when they want. I do have a meeting with my area manager regarding this .
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
in the circumstances it may be difficult for them to justify forcing you not to work sometimes and when to work. You should ask for the specific reasons why they feel this way and as mentioned you have the right to raise a formal grievance to deal with this as an official complaint
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best