taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have just been dismissed from a long-term job (Administrator/Credit Controller Office jo

Customer Question

I have just been dismissed from a long-term job (Administrator/Credit Controller Office job,& just over 10 years) that I have had due to the absences from ill health & the after effects (from a long-term illness I have had since young - mild epilepsy), what are the positives of wanting to appeal, &/or of finding another job because of this?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have you had to take time of work because of or to avoid seizures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The mild seizures occur at night when asleep. It is the after-effects due to a heavy-head & drowsiness that I am unable to attend work.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
I would suggest that you appeal on the basis that the decision to dismiss you is discriminatory contrary to the Equality Act 2010 as the condition that you have is long term and has a significant impact on your ability to carry out day to day activities.
Your employer might attempt to argue that your condition does not amount to a disability but it is my view that if the day after a seizure you are unable to do normal day to day activities it would be deemed to amount to a disability.
If the employer does not reinstate you or offer to make a settlement arrangement you can contact ACAS and lodge a claim in the Employment Tribunal.
If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this situation, as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?