29905560

I have worked at a FE College years as PA to Senior

I have worked at a FE College for 17 years as PA to Senior Management. We merged in April 2015 and I had to reapply for my job as the job description was changed to suit the new Senior Manager's post. My actual work remained the same. The new Senior Manager has decided she doesn't need a PA so I am going through the process again - consultation to end on 27 October. I can apply for an administrator's post at £5,550 less a year (and a reduced LGPS payout) as well as still doing the work I am doing for the SM in conjunction with another administrator. The new job description matches almost to the word the handover notes I got from the previous PA plus my existing job description. Where do I stand?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tasks I complete on a day to day basis will not change at all apart from one aspect where I will actually be doing more as my work load is heavy and I have not as yet taken minutes at some meetings that I should have.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a specific question about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they change the title of my role from PA to Administrator and reduce my wage for doing exactly the same duties?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Potentially yes, they can do that. For redundancy to occur the job does not have to disappear, although some changes could be made to it. What is required is that the employer has to show they have a reduced need for employees to do the specific job and in this case it could be the PA’s position. They may not require someone to do the work on the current pay level and may try and introduce a new pay banding, even if the duties remain more or less the same. However, if you do not believe that the new job is suitable for you, which will likely be due to the reduced pay, you do not have to take it and can opt for redundancy instead. In the process you could try and push the employer to offer you a settlement where they pay you off above what you would be entitled to by law. You could try and negotiate that by arguing that they should have just kept the job as it is rather than trying to reduce its pay and keep the duties the same by going through an apparent redundancy. Whilst this argument may not necessarily guarantee a successful outcome at tribunal should you decide to claim against the employer, it could still be a useful negotiating point when trying to agree on a settlement so you have nothing to lose by trying it.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you