29905560

My son in law walked out from his job on Friday evening. He

Customer Question

My son in law walked out from his job on Friday evening. He is a chef, and he was subjected to a tirade of verbal abuse from the resataurant owners, who were very drunk at the time. This was by no means an isolated incident. They constantly flout the law in terms of paying him late, not issuing him with a contract, employing under age staff to serve alcohol, operating without a licence etc. He felt that they had made his position untenable and he felt threatened, so he left and does not wish to return. He had been working for them for about a year.
He is now worried about money he is owed, please can you advise how he needs to proceed in order to ensure he is paid what he is due? Many thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How long has he worked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, he has been there just about one year
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Whilst he cannot really challenge the fact that he was forced to leave because he needs 2 years of service to do so, he would still have protection to ensure he gets paid for any time worked as well as any holidays owed. This is money he is entitled to regardless of how he left or how long he has worked there for.
If the employer refuses to pay him what he is due, then that potentially amounts to an unlawful deduction from wages, which is made illegal under the Employment Rights Act 1996.
Under law, an employer can only make deductions from, or withhold an employee’s wages in the following circumstances:
• If it is legally allowed (e.g. to deduct tax);
• If it is to recover an earlier overpayment of wages made by the employer;
• If their contract specifically allows for the deductions to be made; or
• If the employee has given their explicit written agreement for the deductions to be made.
If none of the above exemptions apply, the deductions will most likely be unlawful. In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.
If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:
1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made. To make the claim, form ET1 needs to be completed and submitted - you can find it here: https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/employment-tribunals
2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal. The claim can be made online by going to: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.
Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.
I trust this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page). If for any reason you are unhappy with my response or if you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you