taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

My hospital is trying to charge us 1-1.5% of our gross salary

My hospital is trying to charge us 1-1.5% of our gross salary for parking at the hospital. This is exorbitant and a lot of us commute from far away areas, are on-call at odd hours of the night. Is there anything we can do to prevent them doing this? Are there any laws that govern an employer's responsibility towards its employees?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
How long have you worked there for and is this the first time they have attempted to charge you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Personally I have worked here for over a year but they are planning to charge all the healthcare staff. This is the first time they have attempted it. They plan to bring it into force in jan 2016
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
What business reason have they given for introducing the charge? Is this something the unions support?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thay want to build new flats (or some other buildings) around the area where we currently park ( mostly within the hospital grounds). Our unions have no say over that at all. There was a nearby large stadium where staff were allowed to park for a fee but even that is being taken away for building work- probably flats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So in effect the parking spaces will be reduced and we'll have to pay more for the privilege of having the remaining ones if at all
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am surprised the Unions are not negotiating on behalf of members in these circumstances as I should imagine that this is a change which many members will object to.
Notwithstanding that there is no law that prevents an employer from changing terms and conditions (to the detriment of staff) if they give adequate notice and consult on the change and have a business reason to make it.
If the reduction in salary would result in less than the minimum wage being paid (which is unlikely ) then the position would be different.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have not been consulted- they say they have consulted some managers but not the clinicians and yes making some flats would be a business reason ...
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
In order to properly change terms and conditions, to introduce this charge, they should consult with employees or union / employee reps and given notice of a change in terms and conditions of at least a week per year of employment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any suggestions as to how then we should pursue this ?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
well if they do not consult or notify you and subsequently deduct a parking charge it would amount to an unlawful deduction from wages and you would be able to claim the money back in the employment tribunal.
You can raise a grievance about the fact they are planning to introduce the fees. As there are a large amount of employees affected it would be better for a group grievance to be submitted or (even better) to get the backing of the unions to make representations on your behalf.
As I have stated before if they follow the correct process there will be little you can do but if they realise many staff will be upset then they may change their decision.
Good luck with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise credited for your time.
Many thanks and all the best.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters