29905560

My wife is a teacher in a academy. She was very unhappy in

Customer Question

My wife is a teacher in a academy. She was very unhappy in her job and handed her notice in at the end of last month to end her employment on the 31st december 2015. Her manager called her into her office yesterday and stated she could leave early AND BE PAID until the end of her contract (dec 31st). We have nothing in writing yet. Have written email to manager today...but no reply as yet...where do we stand please. As worried! Manager in past has not paid staff for additional days worked as promised. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. When is she next due into work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been told she has not got to go back. She has cleared her desk and been locked out of her school email
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI She worked for the school for 4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is going to work for a teacher supply agency in january
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The employer is able to ask her to leave with immediate effect and pay her in lieu of notice. She may not have had confirmation in writing but the verbal request can be just as binding. Also there are other actions, such as being asked to clear her desk and being locked out of the email system. These all suggest that the employer did not want her to return to work. They would however still be required to pay her for her notice period. If they refuse to pay her she can make a claim against them for wrongful dismissal, which is basically a dismissal in breach of contract. This is a claim she can make in the employment tribunal, although she also has the option of making a claim in the small claims court. So she will have protection should they decide not to pay her. She can always make her plans clear to them at the first sight of a dispute, by stating that she will not hesitate to issue legal proceedings to pursue what is contractually due to her. This will hopefully prompt them to pay her and avoid the trouble of having to face a claim. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats excellent. Thank you. I was just concerned regarding the lack of written agreement. Thank you very much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just learnt that she was asked to leave her keys for the building in an envelop at reception before she left...hets even better. Thank you we have been really worried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best