29905560

I have been working small company since Jan 2014

I have been working for a small company since Jan 2014 and I want to give my notice of resignation this weekend. I have never had a contract as this has not been implemented yet and my required notice period was not agreed upon employment. We are about to implement employment contracts and under this I would be required to give 4 weeks notice for up to two years work.
My question is, what should I say in my letter of resignation because I cannot say as per my contract. Ideally I would like to leave in 5 weeks time, how do I best word this?
Also are they able to fire me on the spot?
Many thanks in advance
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. If you have no contract in place then you would only be required to give a week’s notice to leave. Similarly, the employer will only have to give you a week’s notice to dismiss you. So even though you may want to leave in 5 weeks; time, that may not happen if the employer does not agree to it. You could offer them 5 weeks’ notice but they can just want you to give them the legal notice of 1 week and end your employment within a week. So if you want to leave in 5 weeks’ time, if you are unsure that the employer will agree to that, you are best advised to resign in 4 weeks’ time and give them the week’s notice. When you resign you would simply state that you are giving them the week’s statutory notice you are obliged to, there is no need to reference to a contract if you do not have one. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.