29905560

We live down a quiet unadopted private road (along

We live down a quiet unadopted private road (along with 2 other houses) but recently people have been using the small lane as a rat run. When we are leaving the property we have to reverse slowly out onto the lane which means we are blind until the front of the car is out. This recently resulted is someone crashing into a friend's car when they were slowly edging out (the other driver was going too fast)
We have put a gate on the lane but the milkman and postman never close this so we were thinking about putting speed bumps on the lane.
my question is do we need to put signs up to advise of these bumps?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. In general, the signage rules apply to public highways so if you live down a private lane these would not be a legal requirement. However, for your own peace of mind you should consider making a sign to warn road users of the speed bumps so that they cannot then try and sue you for negligence by arguing that you have placed obstacles in the road, which may be difficult to see in certain conditions and which have caused damage to their vehicles. So it is a step to ensure that you limit any liability to yourselves in the future. It does not have to be a fancy sign but something clear which warns motorists of the humps ahead - it could be at each end of the lane or next to each individual hump. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you