29905560

It has come to light we have underpaid an ex employee about

It has come to light we have underpaid an ex employee about 5 years ago hmrc have contacted us and told us they received the complaint if we agree and find this is right we need to settle with the employee in two months the full amount we asked if we do not have the money can we pay over a period of time also we might be liable for any months pervious even though we did not own the business at that point
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How far back do the underpayments go?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 years we owned the salon from 2010 to 2011 2009 to 2010 previous owner
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You can of course propose that the repayments are made over a period of time – you have nothing to lose by doing that. The way to make it more attractive is to make it clear that you cannot pay and that unless they accept periodic repayments you may not be able to pay at all so the best option is to allow you to do it that way as it is how they will most likely they will get what they are owed. As to the liabilities before you owned the company, you are unfortunately likely to be responsible for these because when you took over the company you would have taken over the liabilities of the previous owner so these would have transferred over to you. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could they refuse periodic payments
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
potentially yes they can but if you cannot pay without making it a periodic repayment then there is little pint in them trying to push for a lump sum as they are unlikely to get it that is why you should make it clear that periodic repayments is the only way they will get the oney owed. Hope this clarifies?
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'