taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I've accepted a job offer via email with the words "Please

I've accepted a job offer via email with the words "Please accept this email as confirmation of my acceptance." but I've not signed not seen the employment contract. 1 hour after writing that email I received a separate job offer from a different company which I would rather go with (better terms etc) I therefore want to know if my email of acceptance is legally binding. The email from the recruitment agency stipulated the following....
Congratulations on your new job. I have sent Company A your information for the contract.
we need you to confirm we’ve got all the details of your new appointment correct. Can you check these details below and confirm that you have resigned from your current position (if appropriate), by replying to this email.
Client Details: Company A
Job Title: Senior Management Accountant
Start Date: xth December (TBC)
Package: £xx,000 Base salary
Benefits: £ x, xxx Car allowance
Pay day 23rd of the month
25 days holidays and can purchase an additional 10 days
Pension – 1/5, 3/8, 5/10 percent
Fuel card if you take the company car
Profit share bonus 2 – 5%
20% of EE phones
Single Health Care
Did my response form a legally binding contract? I need to know now as I have to get back to the other company first thing tomorrow.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.
Although technically you have accepted the job and have entered into a contract there is nothing to stop you from retracting your acceptance at this stage if you have been offered a preferable role on better terms.
The employer could only take action against you in breach of contract if they were to suffer a financial loss as a result of your breach. As you are retracting your acceptance so soon after they will not be able to demonstrate a loss.
They may increase their offer to you.
Good luck in your new job.
If you have any further questions please do ask. IF I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.