29905560

We have an employee who injured himself at work. He

We have an employee who injured himself at work. He fractured his rib and had a week off work. We believe it was entirely his own fault. He admits some liability but also thinks another member of staff was to blame. He says he has started an injury claim,
but if we basically give him £500 and pay him for the week he had off he will drop the claim and sign something saying that he is accepting this as full and final settlement. My question is, if we go ahead and do this and he signs something to say he is accepting
that as full and final settlement, would that be totally legally binding? Our worry is that as these accident at work companies are vultures they are not going to be happy when he says he wants to drop the claim and they will try to convince him to continue
and tell him to just say he was forced to sign or something ridiculous like that. So basically if he takes the money as full and final settlement and signs to that effect, can he decide to go back on that later?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a specific question about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, have you read it entirely? Have you read the part after "My question is...."
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for some reason the do strong on the site had cut off the second half indulge query but after some tweaking I have managed to find it. If you make an offer worded in full and final settlement and it is accepted on that basis then that is a legally binding settlement. In fact there are cases of undervalued and undersettled claims where a person has accepted an offer in full and final settlement only for their injuries to come out worse than expected but they were unable to claim any further due to their previous acceptance of the offer in full and final settlement. So yes make sure it is worded that way and get him to sign it and that would cover you against any future claim in relation to this specific injury. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you