29905560

I attend quite a few meetings as part of my job at

Hello, I attend quite a few meetings as part of my job at the end of which I have to write lengthy minutes for distribution. I have recently bought a dictating machine which I use to record all conversations at these meeting, but I do not tell anyone I am doing this. I only record to help me remember what to write in the minutes.
Am I doing anything illegal by recording everyone's conversation without their knowledge? even if I am physically present at each meeting?
Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me the nature of your work and how long have you been employed there please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ben, I work as an IT project manager (25 years technical hands-on, and 2+ years with management responsibilities). I have just started a 6 months contract with a firm in the city but hoping to go permanent with them, else look for a permanent position elsewhere.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Generally there are no legal restrictions on recording meetings in secret, even if those attending are unaware of it. This is especially true if the recordings will just be for your own personal use. The only time this may become an issue is if you are recording personal data about others. For example, if you are discussing clients and their personal information is mentioned, then you will have certain liabilities under data protection legislation. So you will likely have to inform those whose personal data is being recorded that this is happening and their consent also be required. You also should not keep their data for longer than is necessary, it means maybe only a few weeks at most.
However, if you are just making the recordings to help you with writing minutes and you delete them as soon as you have finished, then there should be no general issues in relation to this.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you