29905560

Hey, If I sign an employment contract but then get another

Customer Question

Hey,
If I sign an employment contract but then get another job offer, can I go back on my decison of accepting the first job offer? Will the first contract be legally binding if I havn't started working at the company? The contract has a 6 month non-compete clause in it that states I cannot work for another competitor for a period of 6 months after my termination date?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me when you signed the contract and when are you due to start your employment with that company please.
Hello there, if you were to decide not to proceed with the initial job offer then you will potentially be acting in brach of contract. This means that the employer could consider pursuing you for any losses they may have incurred as a result. For example, if they were left in a difficult position where they needed you to undertake the work and had to employ a replacement at short notice and by paying recruitment fees, they could consider pursuing you for these. However, they must be able to show that losses have been incurred and that they had taken steps to try and minimise them. In reality, such claims are very rarely made as losses are not suffered.
With regard to the restrictive covenants in the contract, if you did not actually start working for them you will not be bound by them. So if that is your concern and whether they can prevent you from working for someone else, then you do not have to worry about that.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you