29905560

My husband has been recently diagnosed with dementia at the

my husband has been recently diagnosed with dementia at the age of 57. He has been unwell since 2011 and was forced to resign from his job as he punched a colleague who was bullying him, my husband did not report this and his employer investigated the incident but as the bullying couldn't be proved he had to resign or be sacked. my husband has never been well enough to work since and was obviously suffering the early stages of dementia at the time. His employer had a mission statement of inclusion and and understanding of mental health issues was totally ignored by the panel investigating the incident. At this time my husband had been employed for 12 years and did not have a blemish on his record, this was a job he had hoped to be in until he retired. I do not want anyone else to go through what my family has been through due to ignorance and lack of understanding, our lives have been really difficult since that day I really hope that you can help us
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me when he left his job and had he been diagnosed with dementia whilst in employment please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He left the job on 8/8/11 and it took till jan 2015 for the diagnosis to be confirmed after memory testing and assessments
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Whilst I completely understand your position and what you hope to achieve, I can only advise from a legal perspective and in that sense your options are quite limited. The only thing realistically open to you is to approach the employer personally to make them aware of what has happened and request that they consider this in the future, should similar issues arise.
From a legal perspective he is out of time to do anything. There would have been a strict time limit of 3 months to bring in a claim challenging the employer’s actions, be it by claiming constructive dismissal or disability discrimination. So the employer cannot be challenged through any legal route. Therefore, there won’t be any formal decision made against them which will prompt them to change their ways or be more understanding of mental health issues in the future. So that is why the only way to go about this is to approach them yourself directly and highlight the plight you have experienced and hope that this has the desired effect.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'