29905560

My daughter is on an apprenticeship scheme at a local hairdressers.

Customer Question

My daughter is on an apprenticeship scheme at a local hairdressers. She is being sent to college for 9.5 hours
each week but is not being paid for these hours. Is this
right? She has asked for a copy of her contact but was told
she won't get a contract until she's worked
there for 6 months and that she'll only get one
then is they decide to keep her on. She hasn't been
given any terms and conditions of employment
and she has worked for them for almost 4 months.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello was a specific wage agreed when she joined?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's paid £3.30 an hour as she's an apprentice and that is the minimum wage for a 19 year old apprentice.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible.
Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as an apprentice she is entitled to be paid for the time she attends college as this is part of the training. She is also entitled to receive a contract (or rather a written statement of employment particulars within 2 months of starting work there.
Whilst she cannot directly challenge the lack of written statement, she can pursue the non-payment of the wages in the employment tribunal. Before that she needs to contact the employer directly and ask them to pay up voluntarily and advise then that if they don't she will have no choice but to go to tribunal over this.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome all the best