29905560

I am currently holding down a very busy PA role. I am one

Customer Question

I am currently holding down a very busy PA role. I am one of two secretaries. My employers are saying that they need to make cuts and so will be making one of us redundant. However, we have to now apply for the 'new role' which isn't really new! If successful, I would have to do the job of two people which would mean longer hours. They are saying that as it is a new role, they are cutting the salary. Are they able to do this? I have been here for 19 years and they are looking to cut the salary by a lot - but I will be doing the same job!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.can you tell me is the position being given a new job description and title please.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Ben.In a way it has been given a new name, 'Lead Secretary' as opposed to 'Legal Secretary'. My duties will be exactly the same - and more as the other secretary may be the one redundant. They did say, however, in my redundancy meeting that, should I be successful, my continued service will stand (nearly 30 years!).Linda
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Many thanks for your patience. What the employer has proposed to do is not really unlawful. A redundancy situation is where the employer requires fewer people to do a specific job and in this scenario they want to reduce the headcount from two to one. In the process they could also change the terms of the job which remains so even if the duties are the same they could try and amend its terms such as cutting the pay. To decide who is the one staying and who will be made redundant the employer can go through a competitive selection process such as the one here. However the successful candidate does not have to accept the new job if it is not considered suitable. Instead they could also ask that they are made redundant. So you cannot be forced to accept the new job if the pay is going to be significantly reduced. You can of course decide to remain in it if you would prefer to have a job rather than be made redundant but if you consider the new terms unsuitable then you can reject this job and ask for redundancy instead. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.