29905560

I have to let a member of staff go tomorrow due to losing a

I have to let a member of staff go tomorrow due to losing a large account in the branch area. The gentleman has only been with us for less than 3 months but sadly we now have nothing for him to do. Am I ok to speak to him tomorrow without advance warning and let him go giving him his 2 weeks notice and paying him in Lieu (which we would not expect him to work under the circumstances)
If we are awarded a contract in the first quarter of 2016 we would very much like t contact this individual to see if he is still available for work however at the moment there are to many uncertainties to continue with the level of staff we currently have at the branch.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello you may indeed proceed as proposed. As this person does not have 2 years service they are not protected against unfair dismissal which means you do not have to follow a fair procedure or have a fair reason for dismissal. As long as the decision to dismiss was not based on discriminatory grounds such as race, age, gender, religion, etc you can go ahead and dismiss simply by issuing notice and no prior warning is needed. Ensure they are paid up for all work done to date as wel as the notice period and any accrued holidays.I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you