29905560

My job role has changed massively in the last 12 months since

Customer Question

My job role has changed massively in the last 12 months since I joined. My role was changed from an office role to a field management role due to business needs. However, with this new role my contract hasn’t changed and I haven’t been given any company car or car allowance, just the fuel expenses.
I have been doing this role for 6 months and this week the HR team are trying to push me to sign a new document on the type of car I have to use, how old it is and who I can carry during working hours.
My understanding is since they are not paying anything towards my car do I don’t have to sign this or am I incorrect?
Any advice would be great.
Nathaniel
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me has your title changed and you salary please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ben,My title, salary and contract hasn't changed since joining last year.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Many thanks for your patience. Whilst you are correct in a sense that you are using your own car and can decide who you can carry in it, or what type of car it is, your employer will have the upper hand in this argument because you will not have protection against unfair dismissal. This is because in the first 2 years of employment your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason and without following a fair procedure. So whilst you could try and argue with them that you should not have to sign this document, they could just turn around and dismiss you as a result, or at least threaten to terminate your employment if you do not. So you can try and negotiate with them but be aware of the risks and what the potential consequences of being difficult in this situation could be. So a friendly discussion over your options could be in order and you could try and see if there is any room for movement but if they are adamant that you must sign this document, then you may have to comply in order to avoid your job being at risk. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.