taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I am currently on maternity leave and I was taken into hospital

I am currently on maternity leave and I was taken into hospital for 3 weeks with severe pancreatitis. Can I claim the 3 weeks as sick leave onto the end of my maternity?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is this sickness during a period that you are in receipt of Statutory Maternity Pay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jenny. Thank you for responding.

Yes the sickness was during a period that I received SMP.

Zofia

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Zofia, that being the case there is no entitlement to sick pay for the period I am afraid. The maternity leave regulations make it clear that there is no entitlement to pay (including sick pay) for any period during which a woman receives SMP. I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.