29905560

I got a job with a company and handed my notice in at my old

Customer Question

I got a job with a company and handed my notice in at my old company and my old company as rang the new company up and said if you employ me they will not trade with them again, im now without a job, can this be legaly rite
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a solicitor on this site and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. can you tell me how long you were employed there and was the a clause in your contract stipulating you could not work for a competitor for a length of time after you left there employment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For Ben, I worked at that place of employment for 12 years, nearly 13. There was also no clause in my contract stating that i can't work for a competitor.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience delays.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Unfortunately what the employer has done is not illegal. It is of course morally wrong but from a legal point of view it is not and it is legally allowed. The company can say that they will remove their business from the other company if they employ you and as a result they can refuse to employ you. This would only be illegal if the reason for their refusal to employ you was linked to a discriminatory reason, such as your gender, age, race, religion, disability, etc. However, as this is not the case and the reason is actually due to the old employer’s threat of removing their business, this is not discrimination and it will be allowed unfortunately. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? If your query has been dealt with please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. If you need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you.