29905560

A previous employer has refused to give me a reference after

A previous employer has refused to give me a reference after several requests from my new employer and after I had spoken to them several times. What can I do about it?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified solicitor and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I am afraid that there is no legal requirement on an employer to provide a reference. Therefore, if they are not willing to do so, there is nothing that can be done to force them to. The only exceptions are if the reasons for the refusal are discriminatory. This means if the employer has refused to issue a reference because of your gender, age, race, religion or a disability. However, if the reasons are not linked to a discriminatory reason, the employer would be in their legal right to decide not to issue a reference. All that can be done therefore is plead with them to change their mind but legally there is no option to ensure a reference is issued. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you