taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I was on probation and gave one week notice . But it went to

I was on probation and gave one week notice . But it went to wrong email. I have forwarded this email to manager again as proof that I gave one week notice . Will this still count or will the notice only start from the time she actually received it?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** am a solicitor specialising in Employment Law and I am happy to help you today. Do you want to leave on the earlier date?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was supposed to leave with one week notice . Since I gave latter last Friday my five days of notice should end on 6th this week. However I gave to wrong email. Only today i forwarded original email. So does that mean my one week notice starts from tomorrow?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
The employer would have to receive the email in order for notice to be given properly so technically it should start tomorrow. This may not prevent you from leaving earlier than that if this suits you better though. Is there anything else you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we work on bank holidays which are owed back to us . My manager is saying I can take those days back as tools . But as part of five day notice I actually have to work those five days ? Is this correct ?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Either you work it or if your employer does not require you to work then you should be paid in lieu of notice for the 5 days. If you don't want to work it then you could leave early but you would not be paid for the days in those circumstances.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello do you have any further questions about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were supposed to do my probation review on 14 November but they didn't. This has put me in awkward position as I needed to know if I am staying or not. If not then I would have known in November. If I wasn't passed through then , atleast then I would have had December month to apply to university. But they are only telling me now they can't pass me which is why I am resigning . If I should leave on this basis on earlier date ( instead of counting my notice from today) will I still get reference
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
They will still give you a reference but they may refer to the fact that you have failed to give full notice in that reference. It is probably best to seek their agreement to the earlier leaving date.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for answering your question. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think they have put me in difficult position as as they were supposed to do probation on 14 Nov and leaving it so late they shouldn't expect me not to just leave without enough notice because It would affect my study due to their mistake.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have you asked them if you can leave early yet? Most employers will not object to this, if you tell them that you feel you have been put in this position by them then they will probably just agree and it is unlikely to affect your reference in all honesty.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
I need to go offline in 15 minutes for a couple of hours so if there is anything further you would like to know please do let me know.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters