taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

If my place of work is suggesting that all staff have to be

If my place of work is suggesting that all staff have to be interviewed for their jobs because the job description is changing....
a) can they do this or should they make me redundant first, than ask me to apply for a new post?
b) If I am asked to apply for a new post, and don't get it, am I entitled to redundancy money? I am told I should go for interview but when I ask about the new terms and conditions (i.e. pay scale) they tell me they can't tell me yet....how do I know what I am applying for?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 years
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have they told you what are the differences between the two jobs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say that the job description has changed but are unable to say what the changes are or what the pay will be...
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Are you the only person doing this job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, this job is at a dental practice and involves all reception staff so about 4 of us are affected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you replying to my response please?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
To be honest it is very hard to see how much a reception job could change such that it would require an interview or amount to a redundancy situation. In a nutshell a job description change, which does not mean that the role itself is changing, should not result in the employer doing this. You have the right to raise a grievance if you wish. If you were to be unsuccessful in the interview if you choose not to raise the grievance.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry i've had a technical issue. Just retyping the rest of the answer.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
If you were to be unsuccessful in the interview if you choose not to raise the grievance it would amount to unfair dismissal. The employer is also not entitled to use this as a vehicle to change your terms and conditions. They would have to give notice if this is their intention. Is there anything else you would like to know?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know. I am really sorry that there was a technical problem earlier, can I please check you have now received my answer.